Requesting permission

We understand that your home is your sanctuary, so whether it’s adding a furry friend to your family, enhancing security measures, or adapting your living space, we’re here to assist you along the way.


English Rural recognises that residents may wish to install home security measures and is not opposed to granting permission for this. Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO) Guidance states that the individual resident will be considered a “data controller” and will be responsible for ensuring any recording is used responsibly to protect the privacy of others.

Permission from English Rural is required for installing and using Closed Circuit Television (CCTV) (to include video doorbells such as Ring or Nest) for all of our properties. We will assess the need for CCTV, the intended location of the cameras, and the area being recorded, which may only be within the boundary of the property, garden, and driveway without capturing any adjacent or communal areas. Requests for CCTV installation must be made in writing, either by letter or email, and permission will only be granted once the request has been considered in full. Alternatively, you can submit your request via the online contact us form.

You can find the full list of ICO guidance by visiting the Information Commissioner’s Office website.

Requesting permission to have a pet in your home

We generally do not have any objections to you keeping pets within your home, so long as they do not cause a nuisance to your neighbours.

You do not need to request permission to keep small pets such as birds, fish or other small caged animals but you do need to ask us before keeping a dog or other large animal. Please complete the Pet Permission Form (pdf) and await permission before keeping an animal at your home. You will also need to ensure that you have read our Pet Policy which can be found here.

Unfortunately, we cannot grant permission for pets to be kept in upstairs flats.

What happens if complaints are made?

If complaints are received and it is deemed that your animal is causing a nuisance to your neighbours, you may be asked to find an alternative home for your pet.

Electric Vehicle Charging Points (EVCP)

English Rural Housing Association aims to promote the installation of electric vehicle charging points (EVCP) for tenants who have purchased rechargeable vehicles.

We recognise that using electric vehicles is one measure for reducing emissions locally and will support any applications for such installations, where possible. Please note that EVCPs are only permitted on properties with dedicated private driveways, garages or off-curtilage parking.

All requests for EVCP installations should be made in writing to English Rural by either the resident or a representative acting on behalf of the resident. Requests must be made by completing the EVCP application and the fee of £30.00 plus VAT (£36.00) is payable on receipt of the completed form. Completed forms should be submitted to Repairs@englishrural.org.uk

All EVCP installations must be completed by qualified contractors and installation certificates including electrical certificates will need to be produced to English Rural on completion of the installation.

Works should not be undertaken until full permission has been granted by English Rural in writing.

Skip to content
Request a call back
Request a call back